Healthy dietary habits are needed to support a healthy pregnancy, average growth and development, ageing, maintaining healthy body weight, reducing the risk of chronic disease, and overall physical and mental health.
SARVAM conducted a “Nutrition for Better Life” training programme for the 25 Auro Sakhis and coordinators. Dr Ajantha Parameshwari, PhD in Nutrition and Dietetics, facilitated the training programme.
The trainer focused on the importance of nutritive food and its preparation in a hygienic method. She also focused on using locally available resources for a better life. She insisted that the children know the importance of nutrition at a young age.
Also, she highlighted the following:
- eating plenty of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains
- choosing fat-free or low-fat dairy products, fish, poultry, beans, nuts, and vegetable oils
- Avoiding saturated and trans fats, such as fatty meats, full-fat dairy products, and sweet drinks and foods
- restricting sodium intake and increasing consumption of potassium, magnesium, and calcium
- drinking plenty of water
- importance of the exercises
She suggested that children should participate actively in gardening and cooking at home, which will encourage them to prepare healthful foods themselves.
The trainer concluded her session by stressing that healthy eating can reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, obesity, and type 2 diabetes. She also pointed out that it will reduce the risk and boost the individual’s immunity.
The Auro Sakhis and coordinators expressed their happiness in undergoing this training. They assured us that they would spread this message to all the villagers.